It is possible to create multiple protocol accounts in GAIM like Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ, Jabber accounts. And if you wish to configure you GAIM as GTalk, you can do that too with no hassles at all.
Following are the steps to do this:
1. Open GAIM by going to KMenu>Networking>Instant Messenger>GAIM.
2. Click Accounts at the bottom of the login dialog box.
3. Click Add from the Accounts window.
4. Enter the following information in the Add Account window:
* Screen Name
: your Google Talk username (without any @ symbol or domain).
: we suggest leaving this field blank for increased security, but if you'd like to log in automatically, enter your password
: leave this field blank
* Remember password
: check the box if you'd like Gaim to remember your password (you won't be prompted to enter it each time you log in, if you select this option)
: check the box if you'd like to connect to the Google Talk service each time you use Gaim
5. Click the + next to Show more options.
6. Enter the following information in the section that appears:
* Jabber Options
: Select Use TLS if available and leave the other boxes unchecked.
* Connect server
* Proxy type
: Use Global Proxy Settings
7. Click Save.
That's all. You are done and GAIM is ready to serve as GTalk.Source